Wednesday 20 February 2013

The Jade Peony - Personal Blog 5

The Canadian Novel, "The Jade Peony" by Wayson Choy is based on an event in 1930's where a Chinese immigrant family moved to Vancouver China Town for settling because World War 2 had almost started. The narrator and Poh-Poh, an elder woman, were trying to have a normal life in Vancouver. I choose this book because this book relates to many interesting ideas. As my previous post, this book also reflects on political system. But this topic is too general, so I found another interesting point. The main characters were having troubles with their languages. What I learned about this issue is that it still apply to the Chinese immigrants now, here in Vancouver. There are still many Chinese immigrants can't speak good English based on they haven't learned English in China. My next Inquiry question is how to help the Chinese immigrants to speak good English? Because it affects their future life where they have to find a job. They wil need a very good English speaking and writing skills to get a good job. I am still reading this book, but I'm having a tough time understanding the materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment